Regolith is packaged in two forms:
Regolith is available as a stand-alone ISO that can be installed as a complete Linux operating system, and as a "personal package archive" (PPA) that installs the Regolith desktop into an existing Ubuntu 18.04, 20.04, or 20.10 system. This page provides a quick start for installs and upgrades but more detailed documentation is available.
Regolith Linux 1.4.1 ISO
Regolith can be installed as a stand-alone operating system, and is a good option for the following scenarios:
- Minimal system, small install size, less RAM usage
- Once installed, all defaults and packages are in a known good state
- Provides more Regolith branding
Regolith Desktop 1.5 PPA
Regolith can be installed in an existing Ubuntu 18.04, 20.04, or 20.10 system by adding a Regolith PPA and installing the
regolith-desktop package. Advantages to Regolith via PPA:
- More compatibility with standard Ubuntu
- Easy interop with other installed desktop environments
- Keep existing system installation
- Easy to remove and return to other desktop environments
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:regolith-linux/release $ sudo apt install regolith-desktop-standardLearn more about adding PPAs here, and more about PPAs that Regolith provides here. Staring with Regolith 1.5, there are 4 varations of the desktop that can be installed based on system and user needs. See here for details about all desktop packages available.