Regolith is available as a stand-alone ISO that can be installed as a complete Linux operating system, and as a "personal package archive" (PPA) that installs the Regolith desktop into an existing Ubuntu 18.04 or 20.04 system. This page provides a quick start for installs and upgrades but more thorough documentation is available.
Regolith Linux ISO
Regolith can be installed as a stand-alone operating system, and is a good option for the following scenarios:
- Minimal system, small install size, less RAM usage
- Once installed, all defaults and packages are in a known good state
- Provides more Regolith branding
Regolith Desktop PPA
Regolith can be installed in an existing Ubuntu 18.04 or 20.04 system by adding a Regolith PPA and installing the
regolith-desktop package. Advantages to Regolith via PPA:
- More compatibility with standard Ubuntu
- Easy interop with other installed desktop environments
- Keep existing system installation
- Easy to remove and return to other desktop environments
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:regolith-linux/release $ sudo apt install regolith-desktop i3xrocks-net-traffic i3xrocks-cpu-usage i3xrocks-timeLearn more about adding PPAs here, and more about PPAs that Regolith provides here.